Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Running from God

This is the first in a series of bi-weekly posts by deacons across the U.S. (and hopefully the world).
This post comes from Shannon Karafanda's blog "Until Everyone Hears" (http://drk-shannon.blogspot.com).

-------------------

Running from God

Twelve years ago I got a "call from God."  I put that in quotes because until you realize you've gotten one, you really think that a call from God is a bunch of baloney. But the reality is that God talks to all of us. Some of us are just smart enough to ignore the voice in our head, others are crazy enough to talk about them and have to seek help, and some are dumb enough to just listen to what's going on.

I'm one of the dumb ones. I've followed a call that has led me to ordination this June. For most people this call doesn't take 12 years. It is possible to do this in 6, but I've been running for part of the time. I like to run. Its good exercise and builds strength and endurance.

For those runners out there, here are my tips on how to run from God:

1) Wear good shoes. You can't really out run God so you need to take care of your feet. You'll be in this for a long time until you decide to run with God and at that point I hear Jesus is into pedicures so its not as important.

2) Get plenty of rest. This is really an exhausting process so be sure to re-energize yourself each night before you get back on the hamster wheel. Of course this advice works well when you decide to give into the call, but then its called a Sabbath.

3) Drink plenty of water. Water is essential for this kind of running. It keeps your mind focused on the task at hand - running from God. Plus its Biblical. Jonah was on a boat. Noah built a boat. Peter walked on water out of the boat. Andrew cast his net from a boat. You get the picture.

So I hope you all enjoy your training either running to the call or away from it. If you need any help deciphering which one you are doing, let me know.

Shannon Karafanda is a deacon in the North Georgia Annual Conference.  She currently serves in Families & Communications ministries.

1 comment:

  1. Wow,can I relate. I just graduated and will be commissioned in June and it took me 10 years since I seem to like to go "off road" any chance I can get! This was sooo funny. thanks for your lighthearted and yet profound reflection on answering the call!

    ReplyDelete